I take sport seriously

Of course I do. As should you. If not, I wouldn't bother reading this. It will not be a whimsical sideways glance, it will not be esoteric, it will, I hope, be an attempt to say worthwhile and interesting things about worthwhile and interesting aspects of sport.
While writing my last blog, which wasn't a whimsical sideways glance at anything either, but at least made steps towards being esoteric on occasions, it struck me that, really, while I was writing about music and life and other boring stuff, I brought it back round to sporting matters as often as I could. I also often felt stilted and embarrassed writing about music and life and other boring stuff, and I never feel embarrassed expressing my thoughts on sport, so, I thought, for my next trick ...
Having said that, I finished that last blog months ago, so I clearly haven't been spilling over with enthusiasm and ideas to get this started. A couple of reasons for this. 1. I've been busy, not that busy, but busy enough not to start a new thing with a clear and crisp brain 2. I wanted to start with something noteworthy 3. To be honest, I went off sport for a while, not, I think, because of a phase I was going through, or because I found something more interesting, but because, frankly, it's been a really bad time for sport, from pitifully staged major events to horrible corruption scandals to the fading of outstanding and worthwhile ambassadors to stars of all sports on all levels, week on week, being exposed as acting like they are the gilded rulers of Babylon. I can take the fact that one sportsman is an arsehole, I can take the fact that many sportsmen are arseholes, but a belief that sport is one of the greatest, if not the very greatest, creations of humanity is inevitably and eventually shaken by the dawning thought that, really, all sportsmen are likely to be exposed as arseholes at some point. That is not the Olympian ideal.
But anyway, I got over that. Sport is back, arseholes or no - the Ashes are coming, Chelsea are losing as I write, boxing has a truly spectacular couple of months on the way, Tiger Woods is no longer World Number 1. Things are back on the up. So it's time to begin.

Comments